Below are step by step How To Configure A Local Area Network :
1. You have to determine How much computers you want to connect. The number of computers you are connecting will determine the type of network hardware you will need.
- If you are connecting 4 or less computers, you will just need a single router, or one switch if you do not need internet.
- If you are connecting more than 4 computers, you will want a switch and a router, or just a switch if you do not need internet.
2. You have to determine your network layout. If your installing a permanent LAN solution, you will want to keep cable length in mind. CAT5 Ethernet cables should not run longer than 250 feet. If you need to cover larger distances, you will need switches at regular intervals, or you will need to use CAT6 cables. You will need one Ethernet cable for each computer you want to connect to the LAN, as well as an Ethernet cable to connect the router to the switch (if applicable).
3. You have to obtain the network hardware. To create a LAN, you will need a router and/or a network. These pieces of hardware are the “hub” of your LAN, & all of your computers will be connected to them.The easiest way to create a LAN where every computer has access to the internet is to use a router, and then add a network switch if the router does not have enough ports. A router will automatically assign an IP address to every computer that is connected to it. Switches are similar to routers but do not automatically assign IP addresses. Switches typically have many more Ethernet ports than a router has.
4. You have to connect your modem to the WAN port on the router. This port may be labeled “INTERNET” instead. This will provide internet access to every computer that is connected to your LAN. You can skip this if you’re setting up a LAN without internet access. You do not need a router at all to create a LAN, but it makes things easier. If you just use a network switch, you’ll need to manually assign IP addresses to each computer after connecting them.
5. The last step of How To Configure A Local Area Network is you have to connect the switch to a LAN port on the router. If you are using a network switch to connect more computers, connect it to one of the LAN ports on the router. You can use any open port on the switch to make the connection. When connected, the router will provide IP addresses for every computer that is connected to either device.